"There's never enough hours in the day, I can't do it all!" We whine when the house mess piles up along with our work tasks. Working for yourself is challenging because no one's on your ass pushing you to work or avoid distractions. Thing is, everyone has the same hours in a day! No more excuses! Let's get productive:
1. Break Projects into Action Steps: First, identify your project. Let's say you want to list 200 items on Etsy this month. Break this into smaller action steps like, "clean the 200 items", "set up the photography area", "write descriptions", and "edit photos".
2. Write a Schedule: I schedule blog posts, meals, and everything I possibly can 1-2 months ahead of time. I'll stray when things come up but having the general guideline keeps me going in the right direction. Set deadlines, stick to them.
3. Set Timers and Alarms: Work FAST! Set a timer, hit your task, and knock it out as quickly and efficiently as possible. (Time a work day for yourself, you may be surprised at how "slow" you're going- and at how many hours you've wasted on Facebook!)
4. WILL POWER. No Mercy: Be the asshole boss. Give yourself a zero tolerance policy for tardiness, sit at your desk at 9:00AM and get to work. Don't stop until it's done. It's hard, but success depends on it.
5. Try a Goal Wall: Visuals program your subconscious to hit your goals. Try an inspiration wall right in front of where you work. What are you working for? Tack up photos of your dream vacation destination, dream house, or your kids. (My inspiration wall is photos of health food I wanna try!)
Try More Gimmicks! Scent is strongly associated with memory, perhaps burn a certain scented candle only when you're working. Make several work music playlists. Try a reward system, treat yourself to an Etsy purchase, food, or thrift trip, but ONLY if you hit your goals. Bigger treats for bigger goals.
What do you do to keep focused and through the hard times? Do share in the comments!