Baking soda is my premier all-purpose body and home cleaner. If I was on a deserted island (or the Zombie Apocalypse started, pick your scenario) and could only choose 2-3 items so serve as my all-purpose everything baking soda definitely makes the cut. Here's a few of my favorite Baking Soda uses:
1. Whitening Toothpaste: Pour some baking soda into a small bowl or jar, mix in peppermint essential oil if desired. Dip your wet toothbrush into the soda. Gently brush, avoiding your gums.
2. Fridge/Home Deodorizer: Put an open box in the fridge to help absorb unwanted odor.
3. Body Deodorant: Dust some under your pits for deodorant or put some in your shoes to stay fresh.
4. Face/Body wash & Exfoliator: Moisten a small amount baking soda and use it to wash and exfoliate.
5. Shampoo: Moisten a handful or as much as needed and rub it into your scalp to get it squeaky clean.
6. Thrifter's Cleanser: A paste of water and baking soda is an excellent cleanser for hard-to-clean thrifted finds.
Why Baking Soda? The alcohols and sulfates in conventional soap and shampoo dry out your hair and skin, making your dependent on the line of moisturizers the brand puts out. It's a vicious cycle. Using baking soda, home made recipes, and all natural products don't just save you hundreds of dollars- they're more effective! The slight abrasiveness is what makes it an amazing cleanser and even teeth whitener, it scrubs off surface stains. If you've got some baking soda in the house, give it a try. You may be surprised.
PS: I'd use aluminum free baking soda for any body care experimenting. I like Bob's Red Mill Premium Baking Soda.
What's your favorite baking soda use? Got any frugal DIY hygiene or home cleaning recipes to share?