1) 30 Days: Commit to your resolution for 30 days straight; the time it takes for your brain to automate the habit.
Do This: Get a huge calendar and mark a big "X" for every day you stuck to your habit. Seeing an unmarked day will make you twitch. Seems juvenile but it works! Do whatever it takes to not miss a single day during your brain programming time.
2) Visualize: Visualization is an important brain tool that works for accomplishing goals. It's Science!
Do This: Imagine yourself fitting old clothes or knowing where every single item is in your home. Post pictures of your goals around your work space, like photos of things you want to save up to buy.
3) Plan Ahead: Don't expect to magically achieve new habits and hit goals without planning!
Do This: Write a list of what you need to buy or do to hit a goal. Example: If you want to lose weight, trash the junk food, replace your pantry with only healthy goods, and schedule work-out days.
4) Enjoy It: I don't reward myself for hitting goals, instead I do what it takes to enjoy my new habit.
Do This: Get what you need to make a task easier. Upgrade your computer or camera, only buy food you like to eat when you're switching up your diet, or do an exercise you actually like. I choose bike riding for exercise because running feels like dying. Makes me feel like an aspirating fish on land. Can't do it.)
5) Be Accountable: Buckle down and hit it, don't miss a single day for that first 30 days to make it stick.
Do This: Share your goals with friends, post them everywhere, start a resolution with a group of friends that'll beat you with a mallet if you miss a day! I kid. But no excuses, you! You can't excuse missing a day.
Be Specific and Simple: Drill down your resolution into a simple action step. Use your verbs! I changed "Innovate and improve quality on everything I do!" (too vague) to "'Try something new with every project."
What Are Your New Years Resolutions for 2014? What do you to to stick to new habits and resolutions? I'd love to know your tips, need all the help I can get personally!