Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Looking Back at my 16 Favorite Blog Posts From 2014: DIYs, Personal Stories, Travel
'Twas a year of streamlining, exploring, and refining on the blog, with work, and in life. When looking back and picking favorite blog posts from 2014 I'm drawn to the simple posts on crafting, travel, and personal stories. These are usually the most rewarding posts for me. I could literally write a blog just on kitschy motels and traveling and feel satisfied. Here are a few of my favorite posts from 2014:
1. DIY Shoes Off Sign Photographed above. I like it because it's when I was filled to the brim with blog ambition and thought I'd do a craft post per week. Ha! Not yet! But craft posts are very rewarding for me. Also, getting the photo of me holding the sign involved me standing awkwardly on a ladder and took many re-takes.
2. The Hostel in the Woods and my Birthday Re-Visit Don't be surprised if I move here one day. I would love to live on a hippie commune and this is one of my favorite places on Earth. So relaxing.
3. Robot Toy Keychain DIY: Even the simplest DIY posts takes hours! Loved this one, love my toy key charms.
4. The Mexican Fisherman and The American Businessman I have made an almost full-fledged switch to "Fisherman." Love it. Life isn't about a "job" and "money".
5. Let Me Take You to Paradise, Caracoles, Puerto Rico A true paradise. Every time we visit Puerto Rico it's hard to leave. Also, Climbing and swimming in a giant waterfall!
6. Being my Mother's Daughter More stories about mom and family to come this year, including at least one family recipe.
7. Magic Beach Motel It was a needed break, a fun trip down memory lane, and much fun to photograph something so kitschy. Looking back, was also when the AJ and I were first falling for each other. Related: Jaybird Inn stay and Postcards from Mod Vilano
8. DIY Textured Jars Fun to make and photograph. I love easy crafts!
9. Short Cuts for Living a Healthy, Minimalist Life I've shared it before, but I like this one. It was fun to shoot the still life for it and organize the thoughts here. Really believed it would help people.
10. Kitschy Tampa Hotel Will someone pay me to record a series on staying in random kitschy motels? Can I submit a pilot?
11. Lucky Maneki Neko-Chan's of Japan I'm an unabashed Japan-o-phile and crazy cat lady.
12. Wolf's Museum It's amazing!
13. Transformers Game Board Push Pin I love Transformers, and the odd art/colors/print of these made-in-China game board pieces.
14. Whale Tooth and Spring Cleaning: The only "Thrift Core" post to have my real writing voice. It's nearly impossible to tap into it anymore.
15. Easy 3 Step Record Bowl A long-time "want to craft" project crossed off the list. Enjoyed how these came out.
16. I Will Find You, and I Will Kill You Wrote this post while laughing with my roommate/best friend. In "real life" I'm weird and whimsical, shines through in this copy. I still miss the hell out of my bike and haven't found a replacement yet.
I look forward to sharing more personal essays, art/creativity updates and re-caps from interesting travels this year. There are so many interesting spots I can't wait to sneak my camera into as soon as possible!