Thursday, May 22, 2014
My 10 Basic Salad Essentials: Simple Staples for Orgasmic, Health-Boosting Salads
A salad a day sounds banal, but with planning it's absolutely never boring. The trick is playing with the textures for diversity, and beautifully enough, all the flavor-boosting ingredients below are also incredibly health-promoting! Use the shopping list below to keep your fridge and pantries stocked with everything you need to make your salads exciting.
1) Greens: Your base. Use kale, romaine, spinach, romaine, micro-greens, or mesclun
2) Nuts or Seeds: Use a couple tbspns of raw sunflower/pumpkin seeds or raw almonds for protein
3) Sprouts: Adds great texture and ample protein
4) Nutritional Yeast: Delicious cheesy flavor and packed with vitamins
5) Chipotle, Cayenne, Black Pepper: Boosts metabolism and adds smokey, spicy flavor
6) Cherry Tomatoes: Simply cut in half and toss on your salad, adds sweetness and a lycopene boost
7) Olives, Sauerkraut, Kimchi or Capers: Adds tang, salt and probiotics for healthy digestion
8) Shredded Carrot: More tasty texture and nutrients
9) Avocado: massage your greens with half of an avocado for a creamy, dreamy "dressing"
10) Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar: Stir 3 tsps vinegar with 1 tbspn olive oil for a classic vinaigrette.
Play with different mixes to come up with unique flavors and textures for your salad. Try Kimchi and almonds on a bed chopped bok choy for an Asian-inspired salad or slice basil on a tomato, olive and romaine mixture for something Italian-style. I love fresh corn, tomato, nutritional yeast, and avocado for a Mexican-inspired salad. The possibilities are endless! It's a fun and delicious way to add nutrition to your day.
Do you have any salad favorites you can't live without? Or dressing recipes? I'll update with more dressing recipes into the future. I love making creamy honey mustard, ranch, and other staples, naturally.